Welcome to the History Corner!
Celebrating the rich history of Port Byron, New York, an old Erie Canal village in the Town of Mentz. This site is dedicated to the legacy and heritage of our community as well as a variety of regional historical tidbits. I hope you enjoy your visit and will stop by again.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

New York City Shirt Company founded at Port Byron

In 1881 a company called The Goodstock Manufacturing Company was established at Port Byron, NY. The original founders were J.H. Snow and Walter A. Parce of Fairport, NY and William T Gallt of Port Byron, NY. William T Gallt held one patent under the Goodstock Company.

C.A. Peters would purchase the company and relocate it to Syracuse, NY in 1887. They operated in the Hotel Burns Block on West Fayette Street until 1889, when a new structure was built. They would move once again to Noxon Street where a 40 x 80, 4 story brick building would become their new home. This was at 106-110 Noxon Street where they produced flannel and negligee shirts.

They would later open an additional branch at 744 Broadway in New York City where they would become known for their extra long high grade flannel and silk shirts that were 36 inches long, as compared to their competitors 31 to 33 inches.

Henry C. Peters would eventually take over the business. He would also become President of the Marcellus Paper Company.

Obituary of Henry C. Peters

Source:
Memorial history of Syracuse, N.Y. : from its settlement to the present time
Syracuse: H.P. Smith & Co., 1891, 912 pgs.

William T. Gallt would continue with shirt making at Port Byron under the firm name of Galt & Branch Shirt Manufacturers. He would hold two additional patents:

Shirt Lace Patent 1885

Rake Patent 1893

There was also an Auburn, NY branch called Gallt Dress Novelty Company, which was located at 148 Genesee Street and also at 218 Metcalf Building.

William T Gallt married Ina Hadden, died in 1923 and is buried at Pine Hill Cemetery in Throop, NY.

No comments: